The department of Physical Education and Exercise Sciences was established by approval of Supreme Council of the University in its 2end session which was held on 19/2/1977. First intake of undergraduate students took place in the academic year1977-1978, while the academic year 1998-1999 saw the first intake of graduate students. Until the academic year 2009-2010 (1893) students were awarded a Bachelor's degree and (72) students were awarded a Master's degree. Master's thesis covered various topics such as (Teaching methods, adopted physical education, school management, school health and educational supervision).
The departments has developed the current program to meet governmental and private institutions needs. It also aims to improve their educational, social, military and rehabilitation services as well as to provide an opportunity to the graduate students from Saudi universities wish to pursue their higher education.
The department currently seeks to complete the development process of human and materials resources by attracting distinguished faculty members and providing scholarships for teaching assistants at international prestigious universities with encouraging the partnership and scientific exchange visits with foreign universities.
Name of the Academic Degree:
Master of Art in Physical Education
aligning with the changes and developments in the area of physical education in the last decade.
Meeting the desires and needs of physical education teachers and graduate students in accordance to the survey outcomes.
Meeting the needs and expectations of the beneficiary institutions and sectors (Ministry of Education, sports federations and the military and security sectors)
Reaching the desired level of quality which can be achieved by stepping up the specialized courses, practical training and modern teaching methods based on technology.
In compliance with university's requirements regarding the necessity of developing the higher education programs.
Being a leading department and achieve excellence in the preparing of specialized researchers in physical education fields.
Aiming The Physical Education department to prepare distinguished researchers through providing students with a high quality research and scientific environment which meets the international standers.
Preparing academic and vocational cadres with the ability to use the scientific research methods and applications in the physical education field.
Preparing specialists to work in public and higher education institutions.
Improving the physical education knowledge and skills.
Interweaving the scientific research in the area of physical education.
Students will go through competitive admission according to the following:
Bachelor' degree (GPA 50%)
Written exam (20%)
Personal interview (25%)
Previous experience (5%)
Knowledge and Comprehension:
1. Understanding the newest information and knowledge of physical education.
2. Understanding the new teaching methods that achieve all the objectives of
3. Deep understanding of the scientific research methods in the field of
B- Mental Skills:
1. The ability to construct, analyze and make connections as regards application of scientific basis for physical activities.
2. To integrate theory with practicing in all the physical education activities.
3. The ability to utilize the scientific method to solve problems that may face physical
C- Professional and Practical Skills:
1. self-learning and continuous to development of personal and professional skills.
2. The ability to lead and participate in teamwork activities.
3. The ability to shoulder the responsibility for professional tasks and interpersonal relations.
D- General Skills:
1. The ability to use personal skills to interact with others and accept different points of view.
2. self-evaluation and practical employment of it.
3. The optimal use of information technology to get the knowledge relevant to physical education.
- Physical educators in public and private schools.
- Supervisors of physical education at the Ministry of Education.
- Any specialist who is interested in the field of physical education and physical activity.
- Officials and professionals of physical activities in the military and security
Employment Opportunities Available:
- A Supervisor of physical education programs in public and private schools.
- A researcher in the field of physical education.
- Physical education curriculum specialist at the Ministry of Education.
- A specialist preparing physical activities programs at the military and security sectors.
Taking into account admission requirements enumerated in the Unified Law Organizing Graduate Studies at Saudi Universities:
1 - Applicant must have a bachelor's degree in Physical Education, or any
bachelor's degree related to physical education field.
2 – Applicant's GPA should not be below (Very Good) in specialized courses.
3 - Applicant must pass the personal interview held by the department committee of graduates' studies.
4 - The committee prefers applicants who have skills in English and computer.
Requirements for obtaining the Degree:
Passing (31) study units of master’s courses
Successful completion of master’s thesis.
Program Tracks (if any): NA
Program General Structure: Thesis Option
Number of required units is (31) in addition to thesis as follows:
Program Study Plan: